Sometimes you might get an error after clicking Hoxhunt button. This error is visible in the side window that opens when you report an email. Most errors are temporary so it's a good idea to try again after a while.
To make sure you are able to report Hoxhunt simulations despite the error code, it's a good idea to try Hoxhunt add-in with different Outlook clients like OWA (Web Outlook) and mobile devices (Outlook for iOS/Android), and with different network connections.
If you find a workaround that enables you to use Hoxhunt, you can then troubleshoot the issue together with your IT team or Hoxhunt Support team without having to worry about missing simulations because of the problem.
IMPORTANT: Whenever you are unable to report a suspicious emails via Hoxhunt button, always follow your company's internal security guidelines on how to report a suspicious email to your Security team in such situation. Usually you are instructed to forward the email to a certain security email address.
How to report an issue to Hoxhunt
You can report an error situation to Hoxhunt Support in two ways:
A) MAJOR ISSUE that completely prevents me from using Hoxhunt
1. Click on Error details.
2. Copy the Error ID and Error Details to clipboard.
3. Create a support ticket and include the above details in your ticket.
TIP: You can also send the error details by email to email@example.com.
B) MINOR ISSUE where an error occurs intermittently and doesn't prevent me from using Hoxhunt in most cases
1. Click Report issue.
2. Enter your name, email address and a short description about the steps leading to the error. Please also specify the Sender and Subject of the problematic email.
2. Click Submit Crash Report.
NOTE: By submitting your issue with this method, Hoxhunt cannot guarantee a reply. However, Hoxhunt will analyse all errors reported and uses them to improve the user experience.
Common error codes
- Error 401: This is an Authorisation error. You may be reporting a suspicious email from an account that is not authorised to report emails on behalf of your organisation. Please contact Hoxhunt Support to resolve the error.
- Error 403: This is a generic Permission error. Please contact Hoxhunt Support.
- Error 500: This is a generic Connection error. It is often temporary, so please wait a moment before trying again.
- Error 524: This is a Timeout error on Hoxhunt side. This error is often temporary, please wait a moment before trying again. If error continues, please contact Hoxhunt Support.
- Network request failed: This is a generic error message when something is blocking communication or Hoxhunt service is temporarily unreachable.
- First try Hoxhunt button with and without VPN to see if there's any difference.
- It can also happen if Internet Options > Security > Internet / Restricted Sites / Trusted Sites > Custom level... > Miscellaneous > Access data sources across domains is not enabled. Enable the setting zone by zone until the error goes away.
Action is not valid: This is an Authentication error. This can happen if you attempt to report a simulated phishing email from Hoxhunt that was not originally addressed to you.Examples:
- You have recently changed your name and thus your email address has changed (please contact Hoxhunt support at firstname.lastname@example.org for a solution).
- A colleague is forwarding or redirecting his/her emails to your inbox.
- Syntax error: Please contact Hoxhunt Support.
- Invalid character: Please contact Hoxhunt Support.
- Unauthorized action: You are not allowed to report the email. If you try to report from a shared inbox, you need to be logged in with the shared inbox account. If you were a part of a Pilot group and you try to report an old simulation email, it may be that your user account was recreated. in that case please contact Hoxhunt Support.
- Failed to fetch: Your connection to Hoxhunt service is temporarily offline. You also may not be able to access your Hoxhunt Dashboard via https://game.hoxhunt.com/.
If an error persists for few hours and you are unable to report the suspicious email, please forward the error to Hoxhunt Support by clicking the "Report Error" button.