Sometimes you might get an error after clicking Hoxhunt button. This error is visible in the side window that opens when you report an email.
To make sure you are able to report Hoxhunt simulations despite the error situation, it's a good idea to try Hoxhunt add-in with different Outlook clients like OWA (Outlook for the Web) and mobile devices (Outlook for iOS/Android). You can then troubleshoot the issue together with your IT team or Hoxhunt Support team without having to worry about missing simulations because of the problem.
How to report an issue to Hoxhunt
You can report an error situation to Hoxhunt Support in two ways:
A) MAJOR ISSUE - the error completely prevents me from using Hoxhunt:
1. Click on Error details.
2. Copy the Error ID and Error Details and paste them to Hoxhunt Chat. You can also send the error details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
B) MINOR ISSUE - the error happens intermittently and doesn't prevent me from using Hoxhunt in most cases:
1. Click Report issue.
2. Enter your name, email address and a short description about the steps leading to the error. Please also specify the Sender and Subject of the problematic email.
2. Click Submit Crash Report.
Common error codes
- Error 401: This is an Authorisation error. You may be reporting a suspicious email from an account that is not authorised to report emails on behalf of your organisation. Please contact Hoxhunt Support to resolve the error.
- Error 500: This is a generic Connection error. It is often temporary, so please wait a moment before trying again.
- Error 524: This is a Timeout error. This error is often temporary, please wait a moment before trying again.
- Action is not valid: This is an Authentication error. This can happen if you attempt to report a simulated phishing email from Hoxhunt that was not originally addressed to you.
- You have recently changed your name and thus your email address has changed (please contact Hoxhunt support at email@example.com for a solution).
- A colleague is forwarding or redirecting his/her emails to your inbox.
- Network request failed: This is a generic error message when something is blocking communication or Hoxhunt service is temporarily unreachable.
- First try Hoxhunt button with and without VPN to see if there's any difference.
- It can also happen if Internet Options > Security > Internet / Restricted Sites / Trusted Sites > Custom level... > Miscellaneous > Access data sources across domains is not enabled. Enable the setting zone by zone until the error goes away.
- Syntax error: Please contact Hoxhunt Support.
- Invalid character: Please contact Hoxhunt Support.
- Unauthorized action: You are not allowed to report the email. If you try to report from a shared inbox, you need to be logged in with the shared inbox account. If you were a part of a Pilot group and you try to report an old simulation email, it may be that your user account was recreated. in that case please contact Hoxhunt Support.
- Failed to fetch: Your connection to Hoxhunt service is temporarily offline. You also may not be able to access your Hoxhunt Dashboard via https://app.hoxhunt.com/.
If an error persists for few hours and you are unable to report the suspicious email, please forward the error to HoxHunt Support by clicking the "Report Error" button.
Add-in errors (Protected Mode)
Some Outlook users may receive an add-in error while using the "Report this email" button. The add-in error will be displayed in a yellow box with the title "ADD-IN ERROR". This is often related to your organisation's group policy or security settings.
Examples of possible add-in errors.
To resolve the add-in error, try the following steps one by one:
- Enable Protected Mode for Internet zone. Restart the computer.
- Enable Protected Mode for Trusted sites zone. Restart the computer.
- Enable Protected Mode for Restricted sites zone. Restart the computer.
- Add *.hoxhunt.com to Trusted Sites zone in Internet Options. Restart the computer.
Note: Security settings for Internet Explorer may need to be changed by an administrator.
Enabling Protected Mode either via
Internet Explorer > Options > Security or Control Panel > Internet Options > Security.
Add-in pane doesn't load properly
a) For some users, after they click on the Hoxhunt button, side bar won't load properly.
Side pane is not loading properly.
This issue can be caused by two different IE features: Compatibility View or Enterprise Mode.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Select Tools (gear icon) > Compatibility View Settings.
- Under Websites you've added to Compatibility View field, make sure you don't have any sites containing "hoxhunt.com" listed on it.
- Make sure Display Intranet sites in Compatibility View is not selected.
NOTE: If you are unable to change these settings, they might be controlled via Group Policy. Please contact your IT team to resolve the issue.
b) For some users, after they click on the Hoxhunt button, side bar won't load any content and stays blank.
Side pane is not loading any content and stays blank.
This is usually a temporary connectivity issue to Hoxhunt services. Please try again in 15 minutes.
c) For some users, after they click on the Hoxhunt button, side bar animation never ends.
This issue can be caused by a firewall which prevents access to Hoxhunt services. Please make sure you have allowed inbound and outbound traffic for *.hoxhunt.com.
This can also occur in a rare situation where Hoxhunt's simulated phishing email was received by the user but records of it were deleted from Hoxhunt system due to an error situation. This causes Hoxhunt service to load for several minutes until it times out.
Result pop-up window won't load properly and stays black or white after clicking Hoxhunt button
Empty pop-up window with black or white background might open after reporting with Outlook, or a circular loading animation is visible. This is often caused by a caching issue.
To resolve this issue, please try one of the following:
- Refresh the pop up window by pressing F5 or Ctrl+R (Command+R on a Mac).
- Restart Outlook.
- Check your internet connection (Wifi, VPN) and try reporting again.
- If the issue continues, please reach out to Hoxhunt support.
Result pop-up window doesn't open after clicking Hoxhunt button
If you are running Outlook 2016 for Windows and you encounter this error, the Office API may be disabled. Please contact Hoxhunt support for assistance.
Please see MS article: Troubleshoot user errors with Office Add-ins